Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Long Time, No Post.

I'm a little ashamed. I've been neglecting you all. I was reminded by my mother that it's been far to long since my last post, and that I should try and update as soon as possible. I'm sorry for not keeping you all better informed, but what can I say, I got a bit distracted.
I think I left you all off with the recount of my whale and dolphin cruse. Well, I've been up to a lot since them climbing volcanoes, learning Cook Island and Samoan Dances, and making a fish hook out of root and bone. I know, I know. I have a tough life.
Last weekend Lynn, Alex, and I decided to go on a short day hike at Rangitoto, an island volcano about a 20 min ferry ride from Auckland. It was pretty cool seeing piles and plies of pumas stones randomly placed all around the island enclosed by forests of large ferns and green bushes.

The hike was not too steep, but we did stop more than once to enjoy the view and catch our breath. Just before the we got to the top, there was a small outlook that looked into the crater of the volcano. Clearly it's been quite sometime since the last eruption, but whose complaining?

Because the entire island is the result of years and years of volcanic activity there were several small caves situated around the island. After walking several feet into one of the cave tunnels, a small part of the cave opened up to the serface shedding some light on the once dark tunnel.

Unfortunately, Keri and Kendal couldn't come with us to the island because their presence was required at a rather inconvenient Biology field trip, but Keri and I did manage to get in some fun on the weekend before she left. Keri is an avid Bollywood fan, and after the first time I saw Bride and Prejudice I have to say I was hooked. Keri and I bonded over our mutual love of sappy and colorful films and went to a screening of It's a Wonderful Afterlife at the Auckland Bollywood film festival. We enjoyed Fro Flows (Mix berry frozen yogart and frozen fruit blended together into something like a soft serve ice-cream cone) as we watched the new film, which was directed by the same directer as Bend it Like Beckham and Bride and Prejudice.

The movie was hysterical! Keri and I spent the whole time laughing, especially when they did spoof of Stephen King's crazed Carrie. Overall, I've been pretty busy with class, and trying to get things ready for mid-semester break that starts up this Friday. I'm going to need to clear some time from my schedule to make sure I clean up my apartment before Katie comes to visit me for break! I can't wait to tell you all about our time together, and all the fun things we're going to do!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! I really want to see that now!! She also directed Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging!

    ReplyDelete