Monday, March 7, 2011

The Newer Beginning

A lot has happened since the last time I wrote. I arrived in Waikato one bag short, but other wise ready to get to my new school. Feeling a little naked without my biggest luggage bag, which happened to be filled will all of my clothes except the dirty ones I threw into my shoulder bag, I put my chin up and enjoyed the short car ride from Hamilton Airport to the University of Waikato. The surrounding area was beautiful, but quite rural. I felt almost that I had arrived at the JMU of New Zealand. And I have to be honest, I was not comforted by that thought. In fact, my reaction was quite the opposite. I immediately felt like I wanted to go home.

I knew that the transition from Canterbury was not going to be easy, but after two days at Waikato I quickly discovered that this was not the experience I've been waiting a year and a half to have, so I sent AustraLearn a quick e-mail asking if it was possible to transfer to Auckland. I know shocker. One of the reasons I say Auckland is because of the fact that all of my friends are there. I missed being able to go on day hikes with Keri, Kendal, and Lynn very much, but I also wanted to transfer because some of the classes that I wanted to take at Waikato were canceled or not actually offered this semester.

AustraLearn was amazing. They called me the on Friday morning at 7:30 am, and asked me about why I wanted to switch, and explained to me that Auckland's enrollment was actually closed, but they would try. They explained to me very kindly that is was not looking very likely. I was no and off video chat with my parents. I was pretty upset at that point. This was not how I had imagined my trip, but they were great calming me down, and being supportive. By that afternoon, AustraLearn had created a miracle, and not only got me into Auckland University, but AustraLearn put me in a flat with Kendal. I couldn't believe my luck. So on Sunday morning, I repacked my things, (fortunately my bag with my clothes had arrived on Thursday), and took a bus to Auckland were I was welcomed by my Canterbury friends.

The view from Empire Apartments is incredibe. I look over the beautiful city and some of the harbor. I'm still getting settle into all of my classes, but I can't tell you how happy I am to be here, and explore this great city.

No comments:

Post a Comment