Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Earthquake

Hello everyone, as most of you probably know there was a 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch yesterday that hit about 12:50pm. I just want to let you know that I am all right, and am safe inside my dorm. I was on my way to class when the quake started. At first I thought I was blacking out because I lost my sense of balance. Then I realized that everything around me was moving as well and that it must an earthquake! Everyone around me stayed calm and stationary, so I did the same.

Once the quake was over, people seemed to be excited, so I just thought it was a normal aftershock. This was my first quake, so I just went along with the crowd.
It wasn't until later when the entire campus shut down and when we started hearing reports of the fallen cathedral that we realized how serious the earthquake was.

The number of injured and deceased is not cretin right now, because rescuers are still looking for survivors under rubble and fallen buildings. The most damage happened in the city center, although one of the building in Ilam (my apartment complexes) was cracked on the fourth floor. I don't know what the rest of the campus looks like because it is shut down, and people are checking out the dorms before they look at the rest of campus.

We are still experiencing after shocks about every 30mins to an hour, but everyone is pretty calm. Most people are leaving Christchurch because the Uni is closed for at least a week. I just booked a bus ticket to Dunedin with my friend Kathleen, so we are planning on spending the next week there. I will keep you all updated once I know whats going on. I have power, but the water and sewage is still not safe to use. I hope you all weren't too worried, and again I'm sorry I couldn't get in touch sooner due to the internet being down.

I miss and love you all, and I just wanted to let you know that I'm safe. Next time I post I should be in Dunedin, and hopefully blogging about something much happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment